I think that this could be an interesting experiment to get students involved in. There are whole areas of How Science Works that could be discussed using this as a starting point. For example:
- sample size - why do bigger samples generally give better quality data than smaller samples
- experiment design - what are the important features that have been included and why.
- ethics - are there any ethical issues that could arise from this? Who determines if the experiment is ethical?
- community of scientists - who are the scientists that have designed this? what are their credentials
- Peer review - how are the results going to be publicised?